Saturday, April 24, 2010

Hoarders

I am at that point in the move preparation that I hate. I call it the Hoarder Stage. My apartment has items thrown everywhere. Some in sealed boxes, some in unsealed boxes (hey, I might need that stuff), some in a pile to be sorted into boxes, and a final sad pile. The sad pile are items that have been used to the point of discard, odd items that have been given as gifts, or to decrease another person's "To Purge" list. An example is the Dollar Tree plaque with the scroll embossed encouragement: With God All Things Are Possible. I don't disagree, but I think I can carry this in my heart and lighten the packing burden. I doubt God will be offended, but I will have a coffee chat with him later to be sure. I'll make the good French Roast.

See the problem with packing a small apartment is you have no where to store items to help you keep a sense of what stays and what goes off to a nice farm to play with other junked treasures in an open field with plenty of fresh air and a warm fire in the winter. I can imagine this is how hoarding starts. I can feel the stress and pressure of all the "stuff." The current state of my apartment makes Grey Gardens look like a lovely cottage B & B in upstate New York.

There were just a few things in the beginning. Over the years they have accumulated. You can always think of a reason not to let go of something. Everything has a story. Everything has a past. Sentimental chains that make us attach our very human emotions to a thing that wil never bring us a cup of French Roast. At some point you start thinking, "I just can't deal with the overwhelming mountainess (my word) of it all!" My plan is to jump into Weekend Warrior mode. It may take a Bond movie or two - or, a friend's fave, Full Metal Jacket. Hmmm . . . too much killing. I need something Zen. Perhaps a few candles. No. Fire hazard around moving things. Okay, my yoga videos and some sitar music. Dear Jesus, that will throw me into a trance. Okay, I'm back to Bond. Bond it is. The apartment will be transformed into a neatly packed storage unit by sundown Sunday.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks dear one for writing. Remember the doctrine of non-attachment. Let go of the illusory and cling to the real (I'm channeling Deepak here). ;-)

    Much love! Can't wait to have you home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're not in love with it, get rid of it. It's just stuff.

    ReplyDelete