Sunday, April 11, 2010

Divergence

The purpose of this blog is to explore what happens when a self-created urbanite returns to her hometown. My progression from small town sweetheart (I will make myself appear very movie-like ingenue in these posts to deter boredom) to big city mover and shaker (cliches tie into the whole movie theme - go with me) began over a decade ago. I have shaped my persona in Gainesville, FL (I started small and safe), NYC (now you get the picture), and Austin, TX (the only democratic city in all of Texas). I have experienced things that seem dreamlike to me. Now, due to unforeseen circumstances, I am returning to my hometown. Isn't that the safe way to excuse yourself from explanations? "Due to unforeseen circumstances." Anyway, I am returning to Huntington, WV.

I visualize this branching and automatically thought of a divergence. However, is this more like a tree growing back into itself? The branches turning back into the trunk? I am attempting to keep myself from turning in and find ways to continue to branch out. I have to for my own survival. Most people worry about larger things; I'm petty.

This is the basis of this blog. How does one survive moving from very large cities (NYC 8.5 million - Austin over 1 million) to a small town of roughly 50,000. That includes the outlying towns; Huntington proper isn't even that big.

I could list all the things I'm going to lose as a result of this move: live music everywhere I walk, opportunities to perform in experimental pieces, availability of certified organic food, Whole Foods (the nearest one is 3 hours away) . . . . However, I want to focus on what I can accomplish. If it isn't available what can I do to get it or make it happen?

As I go on my journey please call me out if I start my elementary whining of, "I can't do it." I may sometimes need a kick in the backside. Push me to explore and find ways to be creative, cultivating and culinary in my new surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment